Event Dates: Friday and Saturday, August 7 & 8, 2009
End Time: 5:00 p.m.
Location: Kansas City, MO
Registration was only accepted online at KOCevents.com.
Opened: April 1, 2009 (begins at noon Central Standard Time)
Event Fees: $50 per KOC member* (included admission to event, activities on Friday, August 7, and Saturday, August 8, plus a gift bag containing a special Keepsake ornament and other surprises.)
*Event was limited to KOC members only.
Local Club Dinner Event Fee: $45.00 per member.
A limited number of rooms are available at a discounted rate ($118.00/night) for August 6, 7 & 8 at the Westin Crown Center Hotel and the Hyatt Regency Crown Center, both hotels are adjoined via an enclosed walkway. Reserve your room early and mention the Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Club to get the discounted rate.
Westin Crown Center Hotel
1 East Pershing Rd.
Kansas City, MO 64108
Reservation Line: (888) 937-8461
Hotel: (816) 474-4400
Hyatt Regency Crown Center
2345 McGee St.
Kansas City, MO 64108
Reservation Line: (800) 421-1234
Hotel: (816) 421-1234
OVERVIEW OF ACTIVITIES
- Behind the Magic of Keepsakes: Ken Crow and Ron Carlson presented the inspiration, design and engineering behind a Keepsake magic ornament.
- Betcha Didn’t Know: Nello Williams and Tom Best shared the fun and inspiration they and other studio artists use to develop their ornaments.
- Keepsake Digital Sculpting: Steve Goslin demonstrated how he digitally brings a locomotive to life.
- Keepsakes Sneak Peek: Hosted by Keepsake staff
- Surviving Cancer and Other Challenges of Life: Diana McGehee and a special guest shared their incredible journey and survival through cancer and other life challenges. At the end of each seminar, there was a drawing for a ‘Faith, Hope and Love‘ ornament created by Diana McGehee specifically for the event.
- Studio Artists Video: Candid behind the scenes video created by the Keepsake Studio Artists. (25 minutes play time)
Event Photo Stop
- Local Club Feud: Local clubs were asked to submit the names of three to five of their local club members, to email@example.com no later than Friday, May 29, 2009, for a chance to play. 42 Local Clubs (teams) were randomly chosen and matched up to go head-to-head with one another to test their knowledge of Keepsake Ornaments and holiday traditions. Selected clubs were notified prior to the event of their game time, date (Friday or Saturday) and opponent. Each game lasted approximately 20 minutes. Contestants on each winning team received a There’s No Fun Like Snow Fun!, event exclusive repaint of 9th in the Snowball and Tuxedo series.
- Let’s Make a Deal: A return of the popular deal maker game that was first introduced at the ‘All Aboard for Fun’ events in 2007, but with a slight twist- now it was mobile. Contestants who had what it takes, were able to participate. Once selected they could push their luck as they endeavored to win one of the games top prizes.
- Keepsake Ornament Bingo: Perennial favorite with prizes…prizes… and more prizes!
Keepsake Grab Bag Bonanza
$5 each (cash or check only) with ticket. Grab bags contained past years Keepsake products. Some bags contained special surprises, including: a voucher to go through the artist signing group of your choice on Saturday, a voucher to take a group picture (on Saturday) with the Keepsake Studio artists, along with a note, “Congratulations! You’re a Grab Bag Bonanza Prize Winner!”
Lapel Pin Trading Area
Photo Decorating Contest Display
KOC members were invited to submit a photo showing off how they decorate with Keepsake Ornaments.
• One color photo accepted per member.
• Photo must be a 5″ x 7″ or an 8″ x 10″ color print.
• Full name and KOC member number must be clearly written on the back of the photo.
• Photos were not returned and become the property of the KOC.
• All photos had to be received by Friday, May 29, 2009.
• Photos mailed to:
Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Club
Event Photo Contest
P. O. Box 419580 MD#166
Kansas City, MO 64141
15 winners were selected from the over 350 entries submitted
• Cheryl Ahlborn – Patriotic Tree
• Alma Atha – Headboard Garland
• Patty Aquilera – Spring Tree
• Eileen Bickerstaff – North Pole
• Barbara Byrd – Cool Decade
• Carol Dech – Frosty Hollow Resort
• Karen Holthe – White Trees
• Stephen Legrand – Clock Wreath
• Ann McMullen – Rocking Horse
• Robert McMullen – Hub Cap Wreath
• Elaine Obert – Houses and Shops
• Diana St. James – Snowman Wreath
• Herbert Schweiger – Coco-Cola Wreath
• Jackye Stanfield – Bicycle
• Lois Soucy – Kitchen Display
Winners were recognized at the event and awarded There’s No Fun Like Snow Fun!, an event exclusive repaint of 9th in the Snowball and Tuxedo series. NOTE: Winners had to be in attendance at the event to receive their prize.
Purchase ornaments and other product created exclusively for the event
Secondary Market Shop
Bob Byerly Signing
Master Artist, Bob Byerly was available (on Saturday) to sign his Keepsake Ornament themed print titled: “The Magic from Year to Year”. Although this print was originally offered to KOC members (in 2008) via a mail order offer. A limited number of prints were available for sale at the event.
Keepsake Silent Auction
The eight themed Christmas trees that were used to decorate the main ballroom were auctioned off at the end of the event. The trees included the “Outer Space Tree” and “Barbie Tree” first displayed at the ___ event, and the six artist tribute trees (representing: Robert Chad, Ken Crow, Don Palmiter, Anita Marra Rogers, Linda Sickman, Sue Tague) from the 2007 ‘All Aboard for 20 Years of Memories’ events.
Keepsake Live Auction
Local Club Dinner
Doors opened at 6:00 p.m. and festivities started at 6:30 p.m.
Each local club member attending the Friday night dinner received a repaint of the 1st in series “Noel Nutcrackers” Keepsake ornament.
At the end of the dinner the table centerpieces, the 2005 Tinker Bell* lighted decorations, were awarded to the individual sitting at each table whose birthday was the closest to the event date.
Disney’s Peter Pan
Lighted decoration. Battery-operated movement, light and sound. Netherland’s most beloved fairy adds her warm glow to the season’s magic. At the touch of a button, Tinker Bell twirls and chimes as the lights make her sparkle. 9½” h.
$48.00 USA QFM4495
Local Club Talent Search Contest
Local clubs were asked to submit DVD, to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, May 29, 2009
Participation prize: Clubs that submitted a DVD entry for the Memories for the Making Local Club Talent Search contest received enough Festive Santa repaint ornaments for each member on their roster.
6 winning videos were selected out of the more than 80 submitted from Local Clubs across the country.
• “Ornament Story” by Timely Treasures Collector’s Club from Danville, VA
• “Night Before Christmas” by Quilt City Keepsakers from Paducah, KY
• “Wheel of Fortune” by Ho Ho Club of Orange County, CA
• “Angels Gather Here” by Almost Angels Keepsake Ornament Collector’s Club from Leawood, KS
• “Addiction 9-1-1” by Just Us Close Knit Friends from Lacanada, CA
• “Mamma Hallmark” by The Gateway Collectors Guild from St. Louis, MO
A video montage featuring the 6 Local Club Talent Search winners was shown during the dinner.
NOTE: Ten Magical Snowman were awarded to each of the five local clubs that submitted winning entries in the Memories for the Making Talent Search contest.
Keepsake Live Auction